The family of IBM LTO Ultrium Tape Drives for Lenovo is external, stand-alone or rack-mountable tape drives that contain an LTO Ultrium 7, Ultrium 6, or Ultrium 5 Tape Drive that is designed for the heavy demands of backup tape storage. The drives deliver IBM tape reliability and performance at a cost-effective price.
This product guide describes the TS2270, TS2260, and TS2250 Tape Drives that are available from Lenovo. It also provides essential pre-sales information to understand the structure of the offerings, their key features and specifications, components and options, and configuration guidelines.
This guide is intended for technical specialists, sales specialists, sales engineers, and IT architects who want to learn more about TS2270, TS2260, and TS2250 Tape Drives and consider their use in backup solutions.
Changes in the June 22 update:
- Updated Tape media: Added note about cartridge labels
- Updated Interoperability: Added Microsoft Windows Server 2016
The family of IBM LTO Ultrium Tape Drives for Lenovo (Machine Type 6160) is external, stand-alone or rack-mountable tape drives that contain an LTO Ultrium 7, Ultrium 6, or Ultrium 5 Tape Drive that is designed for the heavy demands of backup tape storage. The drives deliver IBM tape reliability and performance at a cost-effective price.
TS2270 Model H7S incorporates the LTO Ultrium 7 Half-High SAS Tape Drive. TS2260 Model H6S incorporates the LTO Ultrium 6 Half-High SAS Tape Drive. TS2250 Model H5S incorporates the LTO Ultrium 5 Half-High SAS Tape Drive. These tape drives use a dual-port 6 Gbps SAS interface for connection to a wide range of servers.
The LTO Ultrium Tape Drives from Lenovo are excellent choices if you use tape drives that require larger-capacity or higher-performance tape backup. The TS2270, TS2260, and TS2250 Tape Drives are an excellent choice for tape backup solutions for Lenovo System x® and ThinkServer® servers.
Figure 1. TS2270 Tape Drive for Lenovo
Did you know?
Featuring the latest LTO Ultrium 7 technology, the TS2270 Tape Drive provides up to 15 TB of 2.5:1 compressed backup storage capacity.
With LTO Ultrium 6, the TS2260 Tape Drive provides up to 6.25 TB of 2.5:1 compressed backup storage capacity. With LTO Ultrium 5, the TS2250 Tape Drive provides up to 3 TB of 2:1 compressed backup storage capacity.
With IBM LTO Tape offerings that are available from Lenovo, Lenovo can be your trusted partner that offers "one stop shop" and single point of contact for delivery of leading edge technologies and innovations from Lenovo and other leading IT vendors. These offerings can satisfy the wide range of your end-to-end IT infrastructure needs, including handheld devices, notebooks, personal computers, servers, storage, networking, services, management software, and financing.
The IBM LTO Ultrium Tape Drives deliver the following features:
- Entry-level tape drives for high capacity, high performance, and high reliability.
- Adherence to LTO specifications.
- Support for one half-high LTO Ultrium 7 (TS2270), Ultrium 6 (TS2260), or Ultrium 5 (TS2250) SAS Tape Drive.
- Native cartridge capacity of up to 6 TB (Ultrium 7), up to 2.5 TB (Ultrium 6), or up to 1.5 TB (Ultrium 5).
- Native data transfer rate of up to 300 MB/s (Ultrium 7), up to 160 MB/s (Ultrium 6), or up to 140 MB/s (Ultrium 5).
- Mixed media support, including IBM LTO Ultrium 7, 6, and 5 Write Once Ready Many (WORM) media.
- Remote monitoring of status of the tape drive.
- Encryption support in the tape drive to work with Application Managed Encryption.
- Optional rack mount with the shelf to accommodate up to two tape drives side-by-side in a 2U rack space.
- A dual-port 6 Gbps SAS attachment for connection to select System x and ThinkServer servers that run Microsoft Windows and Linux server operating systems.
- Support from an extensive ecosystem of backup software vendors.
The following figure shows the TS2260 Tape Drive.
Figure 2. TS2260 Tape Drive for Lenovo
The following figure shows the TS2250 Tape Drive.
Figure 3. TS2250 Tape Drive for Lenovo
The IBM LTO Ultrium Tape Drives include the following IBM LTO Ultrium features:
- Dual-stage head actuator
The 16-channel actuator (LTO Ultrium 5 and 6) and 32-channel actuator (LTO Ultrium 7) provide precision head alignment to help support higher track density and improved data integrity.
- Independent tape loader and threader motors and positive pin retention
These technologies help improve the reliability of loading and unloading a cartridge and retain the pin, even if tension is dropped. An independent loader motor that is coupled with the positive pin retention causes the tape to thread with a higher level of reliability.
- Graceful dynamic braking
If there is a power failure, reel motors maintain tension and gradually decelerate instead of stopping abruptly, which helps reduce tape breakage, stretching, or loose tape wraps during a sudden power outage.
- Servo and track layout technology
There are 3584 data tracks in Ultrium 7, 2176 data tracks in Ultrium 6, and 1280 data tracks in Ultrium 5. The high-bandwidth servo system features a low mass servo to help more effectively track servo bands and improve data throughput with damaged media in less-than-optimal shock and vibration environments.
- Surface Control Guiding Mechanism
IBM patented Surface Control Guiding Mechanism guides the tape along the tape path in the Ultrium 7, 6, and 5 Tape Drives. This method uses the surface of the tape (rather than the edges) to control tape motion. This configuration helps reduce tape damage (especially to the edges of the tape) and tape debris, which comes from the damaged edges and can accumulate in the head area.
- Giant Magneto Resistive (GMR) head design
IBM LTO Ultrium Tape Drives use GMR head technology with beveled contouring for reducing striction and friction. This head design was demonstrated in enterprise tape products to help minimize contact, edge damage, debris accumulation, and wear on the tape as it moves over the read/write heads.
- Digital speed matching
The LTO Ultrium Tape Drives perform dynamic speed matching to adjust the drive's native data rate as closely as possible to the net host data rate (after data compressibility is factored out). This matching helps reduce the number of backhitch repositions and improve throughput performance.
- Robust drive components optimized for automation environments
To help enhance reliability and prolong the life of the drives, some of the most robust components available are used, such as an all metal clutch, steel ball bearings in the loader, robust leader block design, and a single circuit card.
- Power management
The power management function of the Ultrium 7 and Ultrium 6 Tape Drives controls the drive electronics to be completely turned off or in a low-power mode when the circuit functions are not needed for drive operation.
- Adaptive read equalization
This equalization automatically compensates for dynamic changes in readback signal response.
- Dynamic amplitude asymmetry compensation
This compensation dynamically optimizes readback signals for linear readback response from MR read head transducers.
- LTO Data Compression (LTO-DC)
The Ultrium LTO uses LTO-DC, which is an implementation of a Lempel-Ziv class 1 (LZ-1) data compression algorithm. LTO-DC is an extension of Adaptive Lossless Data Compression (ALDC) and an improvement over previous IBM lossless compression algorithms. IBM patented "Scheme-Swapping" compression looks ahead at incoming data and determines the most efficient storage method (ALDC or pass-through mode) to help optimize data compression and increase data throughput.
- LTO Cartridge Memory (LTO-CM)
Contained within the LTO Ultrium data cartridge is the LTO-CM, which is a passive, contactless silicon storage device that is physically a part of the cartridge. The LTO-CM holds information about that specific cartridge, the media in the cartridge, and the data on the media. The storage capacity of the Generation 6 and 7 LTO-CM is 16320 bytes, which is double capacity of Generation 5 LTO-CM 8160 bytes. Communication between the drive and the LTO-CM is via a low-level RF field transmitted by the drive to the cartridge.
- Statistical Analysis and Reporting System (SARS)
The Ultrium Tape Drive uses SARS to help isolate failures between media and hardware. SARS uses the cartridge performance history that is saved in the CM module and the drive performance history that is kept in the flash EEPROM to help determine the likely cause of failure. SARS causes the drive to request a cleaner tape, mark the media as degraded, and indicate that the hardware is degraded.
- Highly integrated electronics that use IBM engineered copper technology
This technology reduces the number of components in the drive, helping lower chip temperatures, and reduces power requirements to deliver a more reliable drive. The sixth-generation drive electronics provide error correction of soft errors in the memory arrays in data and control paths.
Components and connectors
The following figure shows the front of the TS2260. The front view of the TS2270 and TS2250 is similar to the front view of the TS2260.
Figure 4. Front view of the TS2260
The following figure shows the rear of the TS2270, TS2260, and TS2250.
Figure 5. Rear view of the TS2270, TS2260, and TS2250
The following table lists the TS2270, TS2260, and TS2250 Tape Drives system specifications.
The following table lists the ordering information for the LTO Ultrium Tape Drive models.
* Machine Type (first four digits); Model (last three digits and letters)
The part numbers for the tape drives models include the following items:
- One TS2270 (half-high LTO Ultrium 7), TS2260 (half-high LTO Ultrium 6), or TS2250 (half-high LTO Ultrium 5) SAS Tape Drive
- One universal cleaning cartridge
- Warranty information
- Documentation CD that includes Setup, Operator, and Service Guide
- The Rack mount kit is not included; it must be ordered with the tape drive, if needed (for ordering information, see Table 3). The rack mount kit includes a fixed shelf on which the drive is placed.
- A power cable is not included with the tape drive. A 10A/100-250V, C13 to IEC 320-C14 rack power cable, or a country-specific line cord must be ordered with the tape drive (for ordering information, see Table 6).
- The Rack mount kit includes one 10A/100-250V, C13 to IEC 320-C14 Rack Power Cable, and a country-specific line cord also can be ordered, if needed (for ordering information, see Table 6).
A SAS cable is required to attach an LTO Ultrium SAS Tape Drive to a SAS host adapter. The following table lists the supported cable options.
* The Y SAS HD cable is used to connect up to two SAS tape drives to a single Mini-SAS HD x4 port on a supported SAS HBA.
If the TS2270, TS2260, or TS2250 is ordered with the rack mount kit, it includes one 10A/100-250V, C13 to IEC 320-C14 Rack Power Cable. A country-specific line cord also can be ordered, if needed.
If the TS2270, TS2260, or TS2250 is ordered without a rack-mount kit, it does not include a power cable. A country-specific line cord, or a rack power cable must be ordered with the TS2270, TS2260, or TS2250. The part numbers and feature codes to order the power cables (one power cable per tape drive) are listed in the following table.
The LTO Ultrium Tape Drives have the following dimensions and weight (approximate):
- Height: 58 mm (2.3 in.)
- Width: 213 mm (8.4 in.)
- Depth: 332 mm (13.1 in.)
- Weight: 4.3 kg (9.4 lb.)
The LTO Ultrium Tape Drives are supported in the following environment:
- Air temperature:
- Operating: 10 °C - 38 °C (50 °F - 100 °F)
- Non-operating: -40 °C - 60 °C (-40 °F - 140 °F)
- Maximum altitude: 3,048 m (10,000 ft)
- Operating: 20% - 80%
- Non-operating: 10% - 90%
- Electrical power:
- 100 V AC - 240 V AC; 0.48 A - 0.2 A
- Frequency: 50 Hz - 60 Hz
- Power consumption: 48 watts
The TS2270, TS2260, and TS2250 Tape Drives have a three-year CRU and onsite warranty with 9x5/next business day (NBD) terms. Lenovo offers the service upgrades through warranty maintenance upgrades and post-warranty maintenance agreements with a well-defined scope of services, including service hours, response time, term of service, and service agreement terms and conditions.
Lenovo warranty service upgrade offerings are country-specific. Not all warranty service upgrades are available in every country. For more information about Lenovo warranty service upgrade offerings that are available in your country, refer to the Lenovo Enterprise Solutions Configurator (LESC):
The warranty service definitions for the LTO Ultrium Tape Drives are listed in the following table.
Table 7. Warranty service definitions
In general, the following types of Lenovo warranty service upgrades for the LTO Ultrium Tape Drives are available:
The LTO Ultrium Tape Drives conform to the following regulations:
- FCC: Verified to comply with Part 15 of the FCC Rules, Class A
- Canada ICES-003, Class A
- European Union Council Directive 2004/108/EC
- EN 55022, Class A
- Australia and New Zealand Class A Statement
- Japan VCCI Class A statement
- People's Republic of China Class A Electronic Emission statement
- Taiwan Class A compliance statement
- Korea KCC Class A statement
- Russia Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) Class A Statement
Lenovo provides end-to-end storage compatibility testing to deliver interoperability throughout the network. The TS2270, TS2260, and TS2250 Tape Drives support attachment to Lenovo System x and ThinkServer hosts by using SAS storage connectivity interface.
Note: Tables that are provided in this section are for ordering reference purposes only. End-to-end storage configuration support must be verified through the System Storage Interoperation Center (SSIC):
The following table lists currently available System x and ThinkServer SAS adapters that are compatible with the LTO Ultrium Tape Drives.
The LTO Ultrium Tape Drives support host attachments to the System x and ThinkServer servers with the following operating systems:
- Microsoft Windows Server 2016
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008
- Red Hat:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10
Note: The LTO tape drives are supported when attached and run from the host operating system, however, in virtualization environments (for example, Hyper-V, KVM, Xen), the tape drives are not supported in the guest operating systems.
ISV backup software compatibility
The Independent Software Vendors (ISVs) indicate support for the LTO Ultrium Tape Drives for the following ISV backup software:
- Arcserve Backup
- ASG Time Navigator
- Barracuda Yosemite Backup
- CommVault Simpana
- Dell NetVault Backup
- EMC NetWorker
- HP OpenView Storage Data Protector
- IBM Spectrum Protect
- Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager
- Symantec Backup Exec
- Symantec NetBackup
For more information, see the Independent Software Vendor matrix for IBM LTO, which is available at:
The following table lists the rack cabinets that are offered by Lenovo that can be used in LTO Ultrium Tape Drives solutions.
For more information, see the list of Product Guides in the Rack cabinets category:
Power distribution units
The following table lists the the power distribution units (PDUs) that are offered by Lenovo that can be used in LTO Ultrium Tape Drives solutions.
For more information, see the list of Product Guides in the Power infrastructure category:
Uninterruptible power supply units
The following table list the uninterruptible power supply (UPS) units that are offered by Lenovo that can be used in LTO Ultrium Tape Drives solutions.
For more information, see the list of Product Guides in the Uninterruptible Power Supply Units category:
Lenovo Financial Services
Lenovo Financial Services reinforces Lenovo’s commitment to deliver pioneering products and services that are recognized for their quality, excellence, and trustworthiness. Lenovo Financial Services offers financing solutions and services that complement your technology solution anywhere in the world.
We are dedicated to delivering a positive finance experience for customers like you who want to maximize your purchase power by obtaining the technology you need today, protect against technology obsolescence, and preserve your capital for other uses.
We work with businesses, non-profit organizations, governments and educational institutions to finance their entire technology solution. We focus on making it easy to do business with us. Our highly experienced team of finance professionals operates in a work culture that emphasizes the importance of providing outstanding customer service. Our systems, processes and flexible policies support our goal of providing customers with a positive experience.
We finance your entire solution. Unlike others, we allow you to bundle everything you need from hardware and software to service contracts, installation costs, training fees, and sales tax. If you decide weeks or months later to add to your solution, we can consolidate everything into a single invoice.
Our Premier Client services provide large accounts with special handling services to ensure these complex transactions are serviced properly. As a premier client, you have a dedicated finance specialist who manages your account through its life, from first invoice through asset return or purchase. This specialist develops an in-depth understanding of your invoice and payment requirements. For you, this dedication provides a high-quality, easy, and positive financing experience.
For your region specific offers please ask your Lenovo sales representative or your technology provider about the use of Lenovo Financial Services. For more information, see the following Lenovo website:
Related product families
Product families related to this document are the following: